Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Urei 604G crossover options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Urei 604G crossover options

    So I finally found another non tangerine Urei 604G to match my single. It seems like most of them were later 604G with the tangerine. So now that I have a pair of them I want to get some crossovers going.

    The first option is the crossovers Urei put in the 811. That was the single driver studio monitor. Just a 604G in each. I have a schematic for the xover. The thing that bugs me is these speakers were only rated at 87db @ 1 meter. Is all the sensitivity lost in the crossover? The 604G is 100db @4ft in a 620a cab.

    Another option is buiding some crossovers from Jeff Markwarts plans. He offers one for the regular 604G. I have spoken to him about those. He said he did not do any testing on the Urei version of this driver. He thinks his crossover would probably still work ok.

    One more option is to biamp them with my Ashly amps with built in xovers. The question is whether to just use the active crossovers and just forget about all the expensive passive components

    I am planning on powering the drivers with the Ashly amps regardless. Maybe I shouldn't care if the Urei xover knocks down the sensitivity



    Urei 828 Xover
    1

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Urei 604G crossover options

    ??? Where did you get 87 dB/W/m? Their brochure lists it as 99 dB/W/m, a far more reasonable rating: http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/pro-speakers/1984-urei-81xB/page2.jpg

    WRT to XO choice, since you can, twist/slide your way with digital and fine tune as much as you can to 'taste', then look at just doing the HF passive and better still, couple it to a flea power SET to boot since the pioneers developed them together as a system for the best performance Bell Lab's/W.E.'s 'deep pockets could afford, i.e. basically cost no object, so who are we to second guess them and why there's been precious little improvements over the decades other than via materials, manufacturing advancements.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Urei 604G crossover options

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    ??? Where did you get 87 dB/W/m? Their brochure lists it as 99 dB/W/m, a far more reasonable rating: http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/pro-speakers/1984-urei-81xB/page2.jpg

    WRT to XO choice, since you can, twist/slide your way with digital and fine tune as much as you can to 'taste', then look at just doing the HF passive and better still, couple it to a flea power SET to boot since the pioneers developed them together as a system for the best performance Bell Lab's/W.E.'s 'deep pockets could afford, i.e. basically cost no object, so who are we to second guess them and why there's been precious little improvements over the decades other than via materials, manufacturing advancements.

    GM
    I was researching it and found this link to the Urei 811 spec sheet. Its also where I got the xover schematic.

    It probably is good to play with the xover point first electronically before deciding on a passive setup. Thanks

    http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vin...s/UREI-811.pdf

    - - - Updated - - -

    The link you posted shows the "B" version. I believe only the "A" version had the Altec 604G driver

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Urei 604G crossover options

    True that the B had a custom driver, but it's mostly a clone performance wise. Regardless, to drop a 604 down to 87 Hz would require flattening it to below Fs, so has to be a typo. IIRC, to flatten a 515/604 to Fs in half space still gets you 95-96 dB/W/m.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Urei 604G crossover options

    Ok thats good to know. One of the things I love about Altecs, and horns, is their high efficiency. It makes the music much more dynamic.

    I am on the lookout for a pair of used Urei crossovers. Until I find some, or build some, I will use an active crossover.

    I am planning on playing with the speakers for a while and then sending them to GPA for a remag and recone. They have slightly different cones, even though both are versions of the 35400 replacement cones.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Urei 604G crossover options

    Unless it's got plenty of adjustment, I personally wouldn't bother as studio monitors are set up for mixing in a very controlled acoustic environment, not a HIFI reproduction of it.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.